Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Teacher Talk Tuesday, Measurement, May...Oh My!

Good Morning!

I love Tuesdays because it is our library day! I have a few minutes in the morning to myself and I love seeing how excited my kiddos are when they return from library with their NEW books! I just love first graders excitement!

Before we went to library this morning we worked on math. This week we are focusing on non-standard measurement. This is probably on of my most favorite things to do in math. We started yesterday with Michelle Silvestri's Measure and Compare. I love this activity because it incorporates ruler skills as well. They love the non-standard rulers and think they are such big kids using them.
Measure and Compare
It's a freebie too! Click on the picture to get a copy!

I have taught 2nd and 3rd grade and know how difficult ruler skills are for them so I try to incorporate them as much as possible. Today we watched the Brain Pop Jr. on Inches and Feet, they just love Brain Pop! After we watched it I passed out rulers with just inches on them. Since our TEK(standard) says non-standard measurement we are going to use color tiles to measure inches. We created our own rulers using color tiles today and tomorrow we will be measuring our stuffed animals using them! They are sooooo excited. I will post more as we do it!

I am also sooo excited about linking up with all the other wonderful teachers on instagram! I can't wait to see all the great things going on in the teaching world today!
You can follow me too! My username is JKPrater!




I can't believe that tomorrow is May 1st! We only have a few more weeks of school and tomorrow starts our ABC Countdown to the Last Day of school! You can get a copy of the one our team is doing here!

Tomorrow we will be starting our May Calendar on the SMART board! This month we are focusing on place value, addition, subtraction, skip counting, non-standard measurement, and several other skills. My kids absolutely love our calendar and coming up and teaching their friends! I know that it has helped them grow so much this year as MATHEMATICIANS! If you would like a copy of my calendar you can get it at my TPT store! For the next 2 days I will be selling it for $3 instead of $5! Click on any of the pictures below to check it out!





Have a GREAT day!
post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment