Thursday, April 11, 2013

First Grade Market, Terrarium fun, and a freebie!

Good Morning! 

I hope everyone is having a great week this week. We have had so much fun this week in our class becuase we are preparing for our 1st grade market! In Social Studies we have been learning about goods and services. Each student has picked a good or a service to sell to our kindergartners! The market is tomorrow and they are SO excited! I am so impressed with some of their ideas! We have bracelets, paper airplanes, stained glass coloring sheets, tattoos, necklaces, posters, purses, tissue paper flowers, etc! 1st graders are AWESOME! Here is a picture of a few of their plans: 

Last week we finished up our unit on plants. We had to study terrariums last week! Ugh, have you ever tried to find information on terrariums? There is NOTHING out there! I did not realize that an aquarium is a terrarium did you? My student teacher and I learned that terrariums are a small piece of a habitat. While we were talking we realized that zoo exhibits are large terrariums so we spent some time looking at the National Zoo Webcams talking about why there were certain plants and other things in the exhibit. If you have never looked at the webcams you should take some time to look, the kids absolutely go crazy and LOVE checking out the animals!!! It is always fun and we do it once in awhile as an incentive/reward! 

On the Friday before we created a desert terrarium as a class. Hoping it would sprout over the weekend. Well it didn't, just a tip if you are going to do terrariums start several weeks in advance. Here is our desert terrarium as of today.

The kids were so disappointed that the cacti were not sprouting much. So Mrs. Battenfield, my student teacher,  and I decided that we need to come up with a craft for them. I will admit it was a little challenging at first, but now that they are done I think they turned out so cute!


 

 I loved the way they turned out so much that I decided to put it down so I will remember and make it a little cuter! I thought I would share with you! You could change the plants and do a different terrarium if you wanted! Here is a picture of the new terrarium! I can't wait till next year to do this again!


Click on the picture below to go to my TPT store and download your copy of the craft!

If you download this craft please let me know if you have any suggestions and let me know how it went!

I hope everyone has a blessed and happy day!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment